Sunday, April 20, 2008

Dickensian Urchin Mitts


Fingerless Mitts
Originally uploaded by miss_reecie
When I was growing up in England my Aunt Sue used to baby-sit me on Saturday mornings when my parents were working at the Petticoat Lane Markets in London. We used to play lots of board games, but our favourite was The Dickens Game. I used to read a lot too and she had a beautiful first edition of A Child's History of England which I always admired. Years later I finally managed to find this wonderful edition in Berkelouw Books.

It seemed a fitting match for these mitts which I whipped up over the weekend in between essay writing. They're the Garter Stitch Mitts from Ysolda Teague. I used Grignasco Tango (the poor woman's Rowan Felted Tweed) in grey for added urchin-ness, and still have about a third of the ball left. The concept of grafting 42 garter stitches quite frankly terrified me (i hate grafting) but it was surprisingly easier than stockinette grafting, and looks really neat.

So now I'm off to beg for pie. "I'd kiss you but doctor says I'm sick".

2 comments:

Emily said...

Love the concept of you as an urchin. Can't remember - have you made Ysolda's Urchin hat???

Reckless Glue said...

LOVE those!