So I finally knitted a complete garment that (a) fits perfectly and (b) I will actually wear (in fact I've worn it to work twice already)!!
I got kind of disillusioned with garment knitting about a year ago and stuck to shawls, socks, and other general accessories. Admittedly it was mostly my fault, for either choosing the wrong colour, wrong pattern or failing to do a gauge swatch and assuming that size small would just automatically fit.
Then I made Audrey in Unst!!
And it turned out PERFECT!! I'd say this was due to a number of factors all coming together like some sort of divine knitting planetary alignment:
(1) I actually did a gauge swatch and took my measurements and worked out which size to knit
(2) The pattern is EXCELLENT. Gudrun Johnston is a brilliant designer. Small touches, such as the I-cord neckline and the short-row shaped set-in sleeves really make this garment look amazing
(3) The yarn is beautiful - Blue Sky Alpaca & Silk blend. yummmmm.
(4) The buttons cost me $1 from St Vinnies!
(5) Zero seaming meant that it didn't languish in my "finished but needs seams" pile which contains items stretching back approximately 5 years
My only regret is that I didn't actually finish it in time to wear it that much, as it is now spring in Sydney, I will be spending the summer living in the Blue Mountains, and then I may be moving to Darwin for 4 months. But I will definitely be wearing this at any available chilly opportunity!!
ALSO NOTE: IT'S NOT BLACK!! Yet I still love it!! Don't worry, normal black knitting will resume shortly.